Thursday, September 01, 2011

Streams of Unconsciousness

I have a tendency to not remember my dreams.  Every once in a while, a snapshot or a short clip of something will enter my mind, and I'm guessing it's a snippet of a dream I've had recently.  Lately, I see myself swimming and there's a dolphin next to me.  I have no idea what that means.  Maybe I'm going to Florida soon.  Or maybe I need to cut back on the seafood.  I'm sure there's a book out there somewhere that could tell me.  Or maybe I can talk to someone up in Salem on Sunday, when we move my daughter into her dorm. 

Which reminds me:  Last time we were up there, one of the shops had a sign out that announced "Readings Today by Barney."  Really?!?  I'm sure he's a nice guy, but how can I put my faith in a seer named Barney?  I'd be too worried he was going to try and steal my Cocoa Pebbles when I wasn't looking.

I wish I could remember my dreams better.  I'd imagine they're pretty interesting.  Actually, my very earliest memory is lying in my crib, with the Bunker Hill Monument looming outside my bedroom window in a very threatening and intimidating manner.  Given that the monument is in Charlestown, and my crib was about 35 miles south of there, I'm pretty sure this was a nightmare.  Could be why I get a little freaked out around very tall structures and such.

I do have a weird sort of clairvoyance ability, but it only applies to music and films.  Stay with me.  I can't tell you how many times I've been thinking of a song, or a movie, or even a particular episode of a TV show, only to hear or see it played on the radio or TV within a couple of hours.  And I'm not talking about songs from the Top 40, or popular recent films or shows.  I'm talking an album cut by Lou Reed or Dinosaur, Jr., or an old episode of M*A*S*H, or some movie from the 80's that everyone thinks was directed by John Hughes but was in reality just a John Hughes ripoff (I'm looking at you, Real Genius).  Maybe it's just a freaky coincidence, or maybe I have some kind of power over broadcasting signals.  Could I have the power to control program directors minds?  That'd be odd,  little scary (If you've ever met a broadcasting program director, you'd know why.), and probably wouldn't qualify me for my own comic book.  No one ever talks about the lame superpowers.

I'm pretty sure the cat is starting to learn words.  Yesterday, I swear I heard him say "Mama."  And damned if he didn't watch me do something goofy in the bathroom this morning and go "Wooooow", in a very sarcastic manner.  AND, he's learned how to grip things like he has an opposable thumb.  He can open cabinet doors.  Don't look at me like that, I have witnesses.

Gobshites are in East Durham, New York this weekend.  We'll have Paddy and Colin from Falls Road (formerly from Killrush) on drums and banjo, respectively, so it's going to be a very good time.  Really looking forward to seeing some folks and enjoying a good old hooley.

Here's to swimmin' with bow-legged women...

No comments: