Friday, August 13, 2004

Gary Gulman got robbed

Well, maybe not really, but I still think he had the best set on Tuesday's finals. Honestly, I think this season, with all of the attendant squabbles about whether or not it was fixed, was pretty good, even better than last year. It does seem like the folks in the cattle calls got hosed. At the very least, the producers cherry-picked the final 10 from the prearranged "private" auditions, not from all the folks who froze in the street waiting for their three minutes of stagetime. In a way, I'm almost glad Gary didn't win. I've worked with him and hung out with him in Boston, and I think he was certainly good enough to win the whole thing. But his manager, Barry Katz, is also the Executive Producer of the show, and I'd hate to see all the snarky comments about how he only won because of his manager. Gary's a good guy and a damn fine comic. At any rate, congrats to John Heffron.

No comments: