Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Another One About Music

Add electronic bagpipes to the list.  The band bought a set a few months ago, and they were given to me to figure out.  Because they're electronic, I don't need to work on breathing technique, so it's just a matter of getting the fingering down.  I predict virtuosity within a week.  Give or take a year.

I'll be doing my first solo acoustic performance next month at Secret Society Gallery and Tattoo.  It's an opening for an art exhibit, and I'll be the background music.  Jess will be pouring whisky, as usual, and maybe I can coax her into doing a song or two with me.  I'm actually kind of excited and very nervous at the same time.  I've never performed solo before, so this is going to be a major hurdle for me.  Plus, the fact that the art on the walls will be the main focus of the show means any mistakes or flubs I make wont seem so glaring.  I'm thinking, obviously, of doing some traditional Irish reels and jigs on the whistle, maybe a few a Capella songs, accompanying myself on bodhran, and some mandolin.  If I decide to do Wagon Wheel, which I most likely will, I'll need to bring the banjo as well.  Otherwise the second verse makes no sense.  I don't know that there's any pay for this, but again I'm not worried about that so much, because I'm using this more as a learning experience.  But maybe I can get Jeff or Danny at the shop to work out some kind of trade deal...

Heh, kidding.

Not really.

But I'm also thinking maybe I should get some business cards or something, because if this works out well, it could mean another avenue for me creatively.  I've written lyrics for one or two songs over the past few years.  I'd like to start writing the music to go with them.  I get tunes in my head all the time, but I don't know how to write them out on a staff.  I try to figure it out on the whistle sometimes, but for whatever reason it doesn't translate.  It's tough being a musical genius with no understanding of theory.

Heh, kidding.

Not really.

Okay, this time I really am.

Have some of this:

No comments: