Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Drawing A Blank Deck

So it seems all I needed to do to find blank skate decks was type http://www.blankdecks.com/ into my browser.  Who knew?  As it turns out, Jess did.  I think I'm going to order just one now, and see how it goes.  They have pretty cheap bulk deals, too.  And and AND, they have old school style decks (from the days when they were a little wider, and not all the same size and shape).  Sweet.  I haven't actually skated since college, so I'm not sure about the standard shaped decks these days.  Does that make me a grumpy old man?  "You kids, with your narrow decks and your hot rods and your MTV!"  I don't think I'm that bad, I just like what I like.  Nevertheless, I am open-minded about it, and will likely try one in the near future.

Still looking around for some kind of drawing course.  There's really no adult learning center in my immediate area, unless I want to get my CPR certification or a nursing license.  There are classes in Providence, but that would only work well if I were working in the city.  It'd be kind of a pain to get out of work in North Quincy and have to truck on down to my class every week.  But as I'm going to be spending at least a couple of months in Worcester after November (more on that later), I did find some stuff in and around the area there.  And I'm trying to sketch as much as I can in the meantime, so as to shake off the rust.

I read a lot of tattoo magazines, and some of the art in them is just incredible, and it's really lighting a fire under me to ramp up my own artistic efforts.  I don't know that I'll ever be as good as the work I see in the magazines or online, but it'd be neat to have a piece of flash that I designed show up on someones arm or something.  And maybe, down the road, I'll pick up a tattoo gun myself and try it out.  Who knows?

Today is a new moon, which means new beginnings, and personally, it's also day 150 of my recovery. What does this all mean?  I think for me, it means it's time to refocus on keeping up with the changes I've made in the past five months, and decide the next steps to take.  I want to do everything, all at once and forever.  But I know from experience that that kind of thinking can very easily stop me in my tracks and overwhelm me.  So I need to find some way to strike a balance between all of my pursuits, so that all of them get a chance to breathe and grow.  Just as I need to get back into exercising my physical muscles, I need to let my creative muscles have some time on the treadmill, so that I don't let them atrophy again.

And then I want to go to Europe...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you tried the Attleboro Art Museum?

Curtin said...

I have, actually. Most of the classes I saw on their web site are geared towards kids and teens. They have ceramics classes and things like that for adults. Thanks for the suggestion, though!