Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Left Bank of Central Massachusetts

I forgot to mention the other day that, after reading up on the rules for Movember (15 days left!  Save the Nuggets (TM)!), I had to modify my entry, because a Van Dyke doesn't count.  It has to be a mustache.  So what I did was eliminate the hair directly under my bottom lip to create what I like to call the "Lemmy" look.  Of course, my daughter was able to bring me back to Earth by telling me I look like Hulk Hogan.  Thanks kid.  Oh, and by the way, you're gonna be a commuter next semester.  Not so funny now, are ya?

I was at my therapy appointment last night, talking about my upcoming move to Worcester, extolling the virtues of the burgeoning arts scene there, when the realization struck me: I'm actually getting very enthusiastic about this.  Not that I wasn't looking forward to living with Jess already, not to mention how grateful I am to her and her roommate for even offering me this option.  But in the last few months, I've gotten to know some of the more active participants and organizers in the area, and it seems like people are just bursting with enthusiasm about how they can get everyone together and really make a combined effort to promote arts, music, theatre, and local writers.  Given my rekindled interest in nearly all of these things, it's like a perfect storm of opportunity for me to really dive in and make it happen.

Sunday's event would never have happened for me if I weren't in a relationship with Jess, so I feel like I have something of a head start.  I also have experience and, if I do say so, a modicum of talent.  So Jess helps get my foot in the door, and then it's up to me to get the rest of me over the threshold.  It doesn't hurt that she's been a very enthusiastic champion of mine from pretty much day one (Thanks, beh-beh!).

Long term, I think we're both still planning on ultimately settling back in North Attleboro Center (but not the same house, natch), but Worcester really is going through a kind of arts and culture renaissance right now, and it's not a little exciting to think that we'll be a part of it.

I know I've mentioned the title "Whisky Witch" when referring to Jess, and I did happen to note that she was pouring at the event on Sunday.  But I really should throw a plug in here for her services.  If you're someone who wants to learn about whisky in its various forms and styles, or even if you're someone who's an old hand and wants to find something new, you really need to get in touch with her.  She is to whisky what Wine Spectator is to wine.  I'm not even exaggerating.  I've seen more than one person who firmly stated that they didn't like whisky walk away with a new drink of choice.  She's that damn good.  And she has a blog that is in desperate need of updating (because she's also a very good writer), so I'm going to link it here in order to light a fire under her butt about it.

Don't worry, I haven't fallen off the waggon (180 days as of a week from this Friday.  That's six months for those of you who don't believe in long division.), and she actually doesn't drink all that much, either.  She's a connoisseur who does her research well and responsibly.  Look her up, she will teach you something new.

And with that, I say good day, sir...

No comments: