Monday, November 14, 2011

A Week Full of Saturdays

Back from vacation.  A very nice, slow-paced, relaxing vacation.  A week full of Saturdays where, for the most part, I didn't have anywhere I had to be at any particular time.  Originally, there was a trip to Ireland planned for the week, but that had to be scrapped for financial reasons, unfortunately.  So it became a welcome opportunity for me to just relax, recharge, refocus, and re-a bunch of other things.  Jess was off as well, so we were also able to do some planning and preparation for the move in two weeks.  I also got to spend some time with my daughter and hear more about the incredible things she's doing in college.  I really shouldn't be at this point, but it seems I'm still wowed by her continued accomplishments.  And I have no problem with that.

My Movember campaign started off well, but has sort of lost steam.  After an initial flurry of contributions, nothing for the last week.  I understand, the economy is tough, and this time of year in particular is chock full of different organizations vying for your charitable dollar.  Hey, the whole reason I'm doing this is because I don't have the money to give to any or all of the very worthy causes that are asking for help right now.  I wanted to do something, and this seemed like an interesting way to do it.  So I'm not going to pound down anyone's door asking for money, but if you have the means, I'd really appreciate it.  I'll post a picture of the 'stache on the page later today.

One not exactly bad, but still kind of sad thing happened last week as well.  I made the decision to leave the Gobshites.  There's no acrimony or animosity, I'm not angry at anyone or full of spite or anything like that.  I think I just need to strike out on my own for now and see what happens.  I'm learning a lot of new instruments and writing lyrics, and I have some idea of what I eventually want my sound to be.  So I figured I'd explore that and try to develop it.  Am I a bit melancholy?  Sure, the last three years have mostly been a blast.  But I'm excited as well.  I will always be grateful to the Gobshites, and Pete Walsh in particular, for reigniting the musical fire that I feared was buried for good a long time ago.  And I've had the pleasure and privilege of playing with and meeting some fantastic people who've played a huge part in my growing self confidence, self esteem, and recovery.  Thanks to everyone with whom I've shared a stage, a memory, or a pint.  You've all been a huge influence, and I look forward to sharing my new direction with you.

Speaking of which, last night was my first ever solo performance, at Secret Society Tattoo and Art Gallery in Worcester.  My nervousness manifested itself in a pounding headache that showed up just as I was about to start.  How did I do?  Well...everyone told me it sounded great.  Unfortunately, all I ever hear are the mistakes.  I think it was good that I was more or less the background music for the art exhibit, because it helped me get the first one under my belt without the additional stress of having the entire focus on me.  I tried to make it a mix of traditional Irish songs and tunes, as well as some punky folk stuff.  And Jess joined me for a couple of songs as well (in between commanding the attention of the whisky connoiseurs in the crowd), which for me were the highlights of the evening.  I'm working up a list of songs I'd like to cover, as well as starting a couple of new songs of my own, and trying to pluck out some music for the two I've written so far.

I've also got my fingers crosed at the possibility of new employment in a much more creative atmosphere, and I'm working on getting caught up with everything, packing, and weeding through the crap that I've been lugging around for years, both in the physical and metaphysical sense.  I think it's going to be an interesting 2012.

Oh, and the cat says hi...

No comments: