Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Another One About the Cat...and One Other Thing

Well, more or less.  I guess it's really about adapting to change.  I'm not always so good at it, I admit.  But it's been interesting to watch Finn adjust and adapt to his new surroundings.  The first night in the new house, he basically found some boxes in the laundry room to hide behind, and there he stayed.  Over the next week or so, he gradually started to explore his way around all the new space he suddenly had.  He began developing little routines, finding new favorite spots (Windows are still his primary form of entertainment during the day.  We call it "Finn TV."), and getting used to all the new people in his life.  Jess, he was already well familiar with.  Our roommate Jessie was a completely new person he'd never met before, as well as the frequent visitors and "Whosday" attendees.  He's found a spot in the front room to replace the spot in the old living room on which to receive his belly rubs when we get home. Life, it seems, is pretty good for the toddler.

One of the more entertaining things (for me, anyway) to see was him getting used to hearing noises from above.  We didn't have an upstairs in the old place, and so for a while he'd dash into some little hidey hole whenever someone walked around on the floor above.  He's also developed a habit of trying to look behind all of the pictures we have hanging up.  I'm not really sure what he's hoping to find, but he keeps checking.  I think maybe he thinks they're doors to something.  I have to admit, it would be kinda neat to find out he's right.

I didn't need a whole lot of adjusting to the new house, as I'd already spent plenty of time there.  The commute is definitely different.  The adjustment for me was getting used to living with someone else again.  What made it easier was that, while I'd gotten used to being pretty much on my own, it hadn't been all that long since I'd co-habitated, so getting back into the swing of that wasn't so hard.  And Jess is very easy to live with, which is a plus.  The fact that it's a bigger place, with plenty of room for everyone so we're not always on top of each other definitely helps.  There's a TV upstairs, one downstairs, a library, dining room, etc.  The only thing I really have to adjust to is getting around a city that, before this year, I'd never really spent a whole lot of time in.  Before, my experience with Worcester consisted mainly of driving straight to the venue I was either performing at or seeing someone perform at, and then going home afterward.  Now I live here, and I'm learning how to navigate my way around the area.  It's not particularly daunting, just different.  The only thing I miss a little bit is the ability to walk from my place to the center of town.  Here, we have to get in the car to go practically anywhere we want to go.  Then again, I had to do that in the old place too, if I wanted to head to Providence or Boston or wherever.

I'm happy here, Finn seems pretty happy too, and so far it doesn't appear that Jess has any problems with us being there full time.  In fact, the adjustment has gone so well that we announced to our families and friends this weekend that we're engaged.  Yup, we've agreed to be each others ball and chain.  We're planning for late October, at a venue to be determined.  We're still figuring out the details of all that, but it's going to be one hell of a hooley, that's for damn sure.

Other than that, pretty quiet.  And you?

1 comment:

Jonny RA said...

John and Jess you are two of my favorite people and I want you know Rose and I quit smoking together yesterday. Last night was not alot of fun but I kept thinking about my friend who courageously quit drinking when he was faced with the options.I want you to know not only are you my friend, but my inspiration, and Im glad you found the gorgeous whiskey witch to spend the rest of your life with.We share so much in common with fall weddings and knowing we have to ready ourselves for this daunting endeavor. But I know one thing for sure, you will be there for us and we will be there for you. Slainte my friends.