Monday, December 12, 2011

Not...Sure...If...Serious...

So Saturday went well, or so it seemed.  I did four songs, with Jess handling the guitar part for two, and my friend (and former Gobshite mandolin player) Nason playing on the other two.  I made a last minute decision that I just wasn't confident in my own playing to subject a room full of friends and strangers to it.  I'll get there.  I've already gotten interest from a couple different clubs and booking agents, so I'm working on adding more to the set, and also toiling feverishly to improve my mandolin playing to virtuoso level.  Or at least convincing myself that, really, my playing is fine, and I should just shut up and do it.

On to today's notion.  And my apologies up front, but this one may, in fact, be considered a rant by some...

I'll be the first to admit that I can sometimes get sidetracked by a minor detail or offense, when I should be focusing on the big picture.  I recognize it a lot more these days, but it can still happen.  That's why I'm glad to have people in my life who are willing to snap me out of whatever nonsensical obsession I'm engaged in at the time.  And just as important, I'm more willing these days to listen to reason and see the forest again.

I don't know why apparently no one at Fox News has that type of person in their lives.  Someone to stop them and tell them "Hey, it's really not that big a deal,"  or "You know, it's going to be okay, we'll get through this."  Or maybe even "HAPPY HOLIDAYS AND MERRY CHRISTMAS MEAN ESSENTIALLY THE SAME GODDAMN THING, JACKASS!!!"

Holy hell, can we maybe dial it down a bit with the "War on Christmas" nonsense?  Nobody, NOBODY, is trying to kill Christianity by saying "Happy Holidays."  This is a completely manufactured scandal, designed by people who never pass up an opportunity to be offended by something.  I can't imagine what childhood trauma would make presumably educated adults rage over how to properly wish someone glad tidings.  Who has that kind of energy?

For the record, if you happen to come across my path, you can say either phrase, as well as "Happy Hanukkah," "Joyous Saturnalia," or even "Merry Kwanzaa" to me, and I promise I will not bite your head off for it.  My most likely reaction will be "Thanks, you too!"  I just have too many other things to worry about besides a two word phrase meant to be good wishes from someone.  And for that matter, the people at Fox probably do as well.  I'm guessing this is just their way of not dealing with those other things.

So, to sum up: Regarding "Merry Christmas," "Happy Holidays," or any other iteration thereof, it really is no big deal.  Calm down, have some nogg, eat a sugar cookie, and say "Thank you" to someone who's attempting to be friendly.  If your biggest problem in life is whatever it is the kid at the CVS register says to you as he bags your shampoo and can of Pringle's, maybe it's time to reevaluate exactly why this time of year is important to you.

Oh, and my Amazon wish list has been updated.  Just throwing that out there...

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Merry Christmahanukwanzukkah!