Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Well...Um...Hmmmm...

This is one of those times when I definitely want to post something, if for no other reason than to stay productive and keep exercising those muscles, but I can't narrow my topic down.  The vast majority of what I've written about in this space this year has been personal.  But there's really nothing much to update.  I moved, check.  Brought the cat with me, check.  Doing my own thing musically, check.  Need a bigger paycheck, check.  It's pretty much the same as it's been lately.  One or two things have disappointed me recently, but you know, that's what karma's for.  I haven't written much about any current events.  I think there are plenty of places where people much smarter than I am can give insight into the state of things today.

Remember a couple years ago, when those survey things were all the rage on Myspace and Facebook and in the blogs?  I did a bunch of those, even though I was most definitely not the target audience for them.  But at least they were a kind of writing exercise.  My answers tended towards the snarky and sarcastic, which was due mostly to the fact that I was still trying to write for my standup act, and I wanted to practice writing good, short jokes.  I'd do another one, but the way text slang changes day by day, I don't know that I'd even be answering the question I think I'm answering.  I only just found out that FTW also means "For The Win."

I guess everything I do, though, unless it's specifically for publication, could be considered a writing exercise.  So maybe I really shouldn't be too concerned with my topic or whether it's weighty enough.  That's just my bastard of an internal editor (Let's call him "Smedley"), trying to stifle me.  I think my problem is that some of my posts this year have really resonated with some folks, and so now I'm trying to live up to that every time, like a bar that I've set for myself.  Well even the best hitters in baseball only succeed about four out of ten times, so what am I doing pressuring myself like that?

Eh, whatever.  It's more or less natural for self-doubt to creep in, even when doing our best to strangle it, right?  Even as upbeat as I've been about my creative pursuits lately, I still feel sometimes like I'm going to make a fool of myself the next time I'm on stage or something.  Luckily, I'm no longer taking in any fool-juice, so hopefully that improves my odds somewhat...

Speaking of the next time, I am again going to plug my appearance at Leitrim's in Worcester this Saturday.  I'm not sure exactly what time I'm going on, I'm guessing somewhere around 10ish.  Still toying with my set list, but I would say it'll be equal parts traditional Irish and punk covers.  And maybe a special guest or two will hop up and join me for a couple of songs.  I've also been invited to pick a Thursday night to go down to Beatnik's Bar in Worcester and do some pickin' and grinnin'.  More on that as it develops.

Insert pithy closing line here...

No comments: