Monday, June 13, 2011

Feelin' 7-Up (Which is weird, because I don't drink soda...)

I'm feeling pretty good lately.  Whether that's chemistry doing it's job, or a combination of that, plus my sobriety, plus some pretty cool things going on in my life right now, I don't know.  And I'm not going to question it.  I'm just gonna ride the wave...

I went to my first meeting last Thursday night.  A friend sent me a text message and asked if I was interested in going.  As luck would have it, I was leaving work early that day for an appointment, so I was able to make it (my work schedule lately has made it hard for me to hit up meetings, but I'm still looking around for ones that fit my needs).  I actually kind of enjoyed it.  It was a nice atmosphere.  Nobody was overly maudlin in their talks, and everyone was very friendly and welcoming.  I got a chip for my first two weeks, and when one of the members won the night's raffle, he graciously gave me the choice of books available for the prize because I was the newcomer.  I'm going to try a few more meetings before I make the decision to join and go through the actual program, and to be honest, I'm not wild about the whole "Let go and let God" aspect of it, but my first experience was a positive one.

I'm still with the Gobshites.  I was able to work things out and convince them that I'm determined to stay on the path I've chosen, so pubs are on notice to have plenty of Arizona diet green tea on hand, because there's one Gobshite now who doesn't drink stout (or lager, porter, IPA, etc...).  We're playing the Boston Irish Festival in Canton, Mass this Saturday night at 7, and we just added a show this Thursday, the 16th, at Murphy's Tap Room in Manchester, New Hampshire at 8.  The only way I'm going to be falling off any stages now is if Pete trips me.

I spent the weekend in Worcester in the company of someone pretty special.  We met through a mutual friend when she came to a Gobshites show a couple months ago, and things have been progressing slowly but steadily.  She came to my daughter's graduation, and survived a Curtin family birthday party on Saturday, as well as taking me to a tattoo shop run by a friend of hers to get some new ink.  Plus she brought treats for the cat the first time she came over, so he's definitely a vote in favor.  And she's a Bruins fan too, which pretty much sealed the deal.  I've been pretty open with her about what 've been going through lately, and she's been spectacularly patient and understanding about it all.  It's weird, the paths that life sends you down.  I haven't been this happy in quite some time.

I'm still struggling financially.  I hope to turn the corner on that soon.  Otherwise, I'm optimistic about the future, and mindful of what I need to do to keep the momentum going.

Thank you, come again...

1 comment:

Crystal said...

Your Special Lady is a Special Lady, she is an amazing gal...Happy for you both...