Thursday, June 09, 2011

Go Raibh Maith Agat

Wow.  Last Wednesday's post really seemed to strike a chord with folks.  It's gotten three times as many hits as the second most read post I've ever made.  I've been told that people are forwarding it to others who may have similar problems with alcohol.  That makes me glad.  That's one of the main reasons I post so much personal material here.  That and so I can own up to my issues and take charge of them, instead of ignore them and run away.  I can only hope that someone who reads that post decides to take a stab at making their own life better and getting help.  Andn a great big thanks to those of you who responded.  I've received nothing but positive feedback, both on Facebook and privately, from a whole host of friends, family, and even some strangers.

So how is everything else, you ask (You may not be asking this for real, but you are in my head.  That might be another issue to discuss with my therapists...)?  Pretty okay, to be pithy.  I've been able to maintain my weight loss despite a spotty workout schedule, and life on my own is starting to feel more or less comfortable.  Doesn't hurt that I have some great friends to lift my spirits, as well as what may be the most affectionate cat I've ever known to keep me company during my alone time.

As of right now, I'm not entirely sure of my status with the Gobshites.  I know I wont be playing either of the shows this weekend.  If that becomes permanent, I'll be sad, but I understand.  I have no one to blame but myself.  Disappointing, but not entirely surprising.  Even people that love you can only take so much.  If I'm being completely honest, I can't say I wont miss having a few pints now and again, but I wont miss it nearly as much as I'd miss playing with that travelling party we call a band.

I'm getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger on getting back into standup, even if it's only hitting the open mic around the corner from my house now and again.  Lord knows, the second job search has been a bust so far, and I can only sell so many of my things before it ceases to make sense for me to even have more than a studio efficiency with an outhouse.  I've written one or two things that seem like they could be forged into good bits.  Now I just need to get on a stage somewhere and hammer them out.

As the song goes, money changes everything.  So if you need me to wash your car or cut your grass or something, let me know.  My rates reasonable.  I'm also looking into buying a metal detector and becoming one of those guys in the park you see every weekend...

Aloha

No comments: