Friday, July 29, 2011

60

This past Spring, the only thing I could think about was getting out of work so I could go to the package store and get a twelve pack of Guinness for the night.  Lately, I only want to get out of work so I can go home and practice the tin whistle, or the mandolin, or the harmonica.  Or play with the cat.  Or spend time with my daughter.  Or Jess.  Or all of those things at once.  I look forward to better things these days.

Yesterday was day 60 without a drink.  I went to a meeting, got my two month chip, and sat and listened to some pretty good talks from some folks that it turns out live right near me.  One of them really struck a chord with me when he talked about the Higher Power aspect of the program.   My own view of religion was formed by my years growing up almost literally in a Catholic church.  My family and I were heavily involved in the Church, and I went to Catholic high school.  After years and years of nearly complete immersion, as well as a few noteworthy incidents (some well known scandals, others of a more personal nature), I began to pull away from it.  I also started thinking about my own views of "God" and spirituality.

I'm not going to go into a big diatribe on what I believe versus what everyone else does, suffice it to say that I'm not a regular church attendee.  I'm not an atheist, I just don't think any one version has it totally right, and when you put people in positions of authority in any faith, there's bound to be a little warping.  I certainly don't begrudge anyone their faith if it gives them comfort and guides them to do good works.  I do have a problem with those who use their religion as a way of elevating themselves above the rest of us.  No one has all the answers, and if you think you do then you're doing it wrong.

Anyway, what he said to me resonated, and made me feel even more comfortable with the decision I'd made to seek help with my sobriety.  I still don't have a sponsor (although I think that may now happen sooner rather than later), but I'm also still getting plenty of support from loved ones.

So after a few weeks of looking at my sketch pad and pencils, I've finally started my meager attempt to design my own tattoo in earnest.  I'll post a picture of the finished product (on paper and on my skin) as soon as I'm able.  Friday Music Blog to follow later today.  Have a good weekend, try the PB&J...

No comments: