Monday, August 01, 2011

Chill...

What a great weekend, both personally and for the Gobshites.  Saturday night was one of the two best shows we've played in recent memory.  It looked like we were going to be down a few members, with me getting behind the drum kit.  But at the last minute, a few old faces came out to join us, and the result was a raucous, rollicking good time.  I made my live debut on the harminoca (and by most accounts, acquitted myself well), and even the songs we were a little rusty on sounded pretty damn good. I actually knew it was going to be a good night from our fist song, when I saw a guy walking in singing along to "Hurry Up Harry."  We definitely left them wanting more.  And seeing as the gig was about 15 minutes from my house, it was a relatively early night.

Saturday afternoon, I got to celebrate my daughter's 18th birthday with an early dinner at Lorenzo's in Middleboro, Mass.  This restaurant has been our destination of choice for all kinds of family celebrations over the years.  I missed out on the cake and ice cream on Wednesday (her actual birthday) because I had to work, but we had a good time on Saturday, and I got to give her a couple of books to open (Her big present this year is her first tattoo.  I couldn't be more proud.), and Jess gave her some gift certificates for places around Salem, where she'll start at the state University in the Fall.

On Sunday, after sleeping in a bit and a quick grocery shopping trip, Jess and I went up to Salem to pick up a wedding shower gift for her cousin.  We also took the opportunity to walk around a bit and poke in some of the stores.  Jess knows her way around the city, so I basically follow her lead there.  The artist who did my claddagh tattoo now works at a shop there (and also owns the local Ben & Jerry's franchise in town).  I was able to reconnect with him a few weeks ago, and I plan on having him do another one for me soon (I actually have ideas for my next five pieces, and who I want to do them).  We also checked out a couple of the witchcraft stores (natch), and played a little skee ball down at the willows.  I totally rule at skee ball.  I wonder if there's a pro-league around somewhere I can get in on.

The weekend ended with a show at TT the Bear's in Cambridge, with us opening a bill that included the Trabants and a band from San Francisco called Diego's Umbrella.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to stick around for the Trabants, but Diego's Umbrella made their first appearance in the area a memorable one.  Those guys really put on a dynamite show, and we were simply blown away.  Check out their web site, and try to see them if they come to your area any time soon.

Today is the beginning of another month, which brings with it all of the worries and concerns that come up at the beginning of every month (rent money, etc.).  While I'm still biting my nails over that, the effects of the weekend have definitely had a calming influence over me.  Tomorrow, or even tonight, I'll probably be freaking out a bit over money.  But right now I'm happy and content.  I have a lot of people to thank for that, but Jess and my daughter (and to a certain extent, the cat) did a lot of the heavy lifting of my mood, even if they didn't do anything consciously to help out.  Just having them around and in my life has improved things a thousand-fold.

Tonight, I go to a meeting, get home, light up some incense to spur a little creativity, and grab the mando.  And the whistle.  And maybe even the harmonica.  I wonder if the cat knows how to back me up on bodhran...

No comments: