Monday, March 07, 2011

The Life of a Rock Star

So you'd figure, after a weekend of playing shows and partying with friends and fans (and a couple of cute NYC cops), and coming home completely spent and exhausted, I'd have slept the sleep of the dead, right?  I mean, I was prepared to do just that, after a quick grocery run and a nice, hot shower.  And after all, it's National Sleep Awareness Week, so I'm pumped for slumber.  Right?

Yeah, not so much.  Is there such a thing as too tired to sleep?  I've heard people say that, but even after a couple of Tylenol PMs, not a wink.  Damn.  I'll give the melatonin one more try tonight, but if it doesn't work, I'm getting something chemical from someone with a scrip pad.

But anyway, the weekend was pretty awesome.  On Saturday, The Gobshites went down to Rockaway Beach for their St. Paddy's Parade, to play in an outside tent next to the Irish Circle pub on Rockaway Boulevard.  Now, playing outdoors on the first weekend of March isn't the best idea, but we did have some friends and new fans come out to see us, so they made it worth it.  There are pictures all over Facebook, if you're interested.

A quick pub crawl through Queens and a nap in a rather nice Comfort Inn later, and we were back on the road, headed straight up to Lawrence, Mass., to play at the Claddagh Pub for their annual after-race show.  This bar is one of my favorites, and not just because they have an actual stage and a professional sound guy.  The place is always, ALWAYS packed, and this year was no exception.  I actually had some family come out for this, and they seemed duly impressed, so, to quote a famous TV star, Winning.

Next weekend, we head down to Washington, D.C. for Shamrockfest.  This is one of the biggest Irish fests in the country, and we did it two years ago with Flogging Molly, Flatfoot 56, and a bunch of other bands.  This year's headliner is Dropkick Murphy's.

I'll also be squeezing in some quality time to see my daughter in her last high school play.  They're doing Beauty and the Beast, and she's the dance captain for the utensils, and a featured dancer.  This kid is way more talented than I ever was.  I can't wait to see what she does in college.

No comments: