Monday, February 07, 2011

At Least My Pity Party Has a Cool DJ

"GAWD!  I wish he'd stop with the 'Woe is me' crap!"

Yeah, there's a lot I've written lately that sounds an awful lot like wallowing in my illness/condition/whatever.  I'm really not trying to do that.  I mean, sure, I'm kind of an emotional wreck these days, but I'm trying to focus on the positive and get better.  Music helps.  My playlist can get a bit eclectic, but lately I've been listening to a lot of straight-up punk rock.  Cock Sparrer, The Business, and Street Dogs have been in heavy rotation lately, along with Swingin' Utters.  There's quite a bit of Celtic, both traditional and otherwise (See: Greenland Whalefishers, The Pogues, Christy Moore, Flatfoot 56, and The Real Mackenzies).  I got a great four CD compilation for Christmas called Rockin' Bones, which is all 50's and 60's rockabilly.  And there's even been a little Zydeco thrown in, most notably Steve Riley and the Mamou Playboys' Trace of Time CD, and also the first Zydepunks CD.

I should put in a plug for the two new Gobshites CDs coming out very very soon.  The first one to come out will be "Poitin" (pronounced (pot-CHEEN), which is our "Official Bootleg."  It's a compilation of various songs we've done for compilations, some live tracks, and one or two alternate mixes.  The other is "Songs Me Da Got Pissed To," an album of traditional Irish songs and tunes, done Gobshites-style.  Originally, "Poitin" was supposed to be a freebie for those who preordered "Songs...", and until midnight this Friday, it still is.  But we're also going to be selling them at shows now as well.  Both of them come out this month, with "Poitin" leading off.  You can get more info by sending an email to acousticelticore@gmail.com.

No comments: